Monday, December 13, 2010

And It's Out of the Trunk!

Yep, I have FINALLY returned to my first love. No, I didn't leave my husband for an old boyfriend. :-)  I'm talking about the very first novel I ever wrote. I'm absolutely in love with my recently finished novel, but always sitting in the back of my mind and nestled in my heart was a little story I wrote called Twin Souls. Okay, so it wasn't all that little. It was more like 145K (originally finished at 160K, but I got it down...hahaha). I even have that story copyrighted. Yep, I have an official piece of paper that says I have a copyright on Twin Souls. (Oh how little I knew hehe).

Anyway, I am very excited to re-write this story. I'm hoping to get it down to 80-90K (Yes that's a lot of cutting and slashing), but I think I can do it because I have learned soooooooooooooo much since writing that book. I still believe strongly in the story (and I still envision it as a 5 book series). I'm still completely and totally in love with Bryce, the hot Latino LI (yes, I have a thing for Latino men/LI in my stories :-))  and I'm going to be working to make my MC, Melina, an even stronger character than she already is because I love a strong female lead. This story is full of hotness, msytery, suspense and life lessons in accepting yourself for who you are (no matter what you are) as well as love. It is a Paranormal Romance Thriller and I can't wait to be living again in this world.

How about you? Any trunked pieces or first loves that you are just dying to pull out? Or if you have, I'd love to hear experience in how you went about revisiting it.

9 comments:

  1. Okay taking a ten minute breaky here. I recently opened up an old file that I want to re-write. Read the first 50 pages and had a good laugh. But like you, I still really love the character and I think it'll make a nice spin-off for NW. I probably told you that before. Anywho, maybe I'll get back to it in the new year.

    Almost got to the end with tightening, still have 1500 words to snip off, but I think I'll worry about those during the next read through. Still fussing over that climax scene, changing little things and such. but I'm getting closer!! Glad that you're feeling inspired with this new WIP. Some Latino men I go ga-ga over, some I don't. Enrique Iglesius (sp?) - yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Mel! I know the finished product will be awesome. :D

    I've never trunked something before, but I do go back and look at my first two books and laugh at how horrible they were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did that with my first novel - dusted it off, rewrote massive sections of it, decided it was almost there, and put it back in the trunk when Hubby identified the problems I feared were still there. It was excellent practice, though. I can't wait to hear how you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck.

    i fiddled with a trunked thing for a while. i keep thinking about returning to it but, i don't know...

    let us know how you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So envious you've returned to your first love! I think mine is beyond hope :( I fiddle with it once in a while in between other things, but as much as I love the characters, the story is just not working. I'm hoping I'll get a zap of inspiration one of these days.

    BTW, love the title TWIN SOULS. Enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome for opening that trunk. I think I could use the characters and idea from my first novel, but NONE of the words. Good luck on the rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks guys for the good luck wishes on TS :) Will need it, me thinks ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs images from the End of Love kit by Lily Designs